Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Cha

I was scared to go to Afghanistan! Ironically, while everyone around me was worried about my life, I was worried about something else. Was I worried or was I dreading the nightmare? Nightmare, not of guns or the war… Afraid not of the unknown… Neither did the unavailability of vegetarian food scare me. What scared me was the word, “Chai.” A drink that I have not tasted since I remember, something that I have been unable to drink ever. And, Greg Mortenson, in his best seller “Three Cups of Tea” mentions the importance of tea or the “cha” in the region. Relations that evolve over “teen cha!” And, I was averse to this basic requirement of friendship in this region!

Ironically, though on the opposite side of India than that of Afghanistan, this is a requirement in Bangladesh too. Refusing a “cha” is considered hostile and can break the relation even before it is made. So, I faced a choice of either making friends or staying a loner in this part of the world, and I chose the first one. I had the first cup of chai ever. It was tough.. That’s akll I can say. When the first skin of milk over the liquid tea touched my tongue, I was on the verge of throwing out. But, now after 5 days of starting with Chai, having at least a cup a day for some or other reason, I am doing well. Chai is making my taste buds dance to it’s taste!

Greg, I am preparing myself for the assignment!

No comments: