Saturday, August 29, 2009

The umbrella stick

I recall the trek to Pindari Kafni glaciers in Dhauladhar Himalayan range, way back in 1990s… It was one of my first few treks in Himalayas. It was with Yuvashakti, and I was walking with my batch. I found a big stick lying beside the road, I picked it up and started walking, using it as my third leg. The nature absorbed me, the stick and the legs got in their own rhythm and without my realization, my pace had increased multifold. Within next couple of hours, I was far ahead of my group. By early evening, I had already crossed the batch that had left a day earlier. And then, the batch incharge stopped me, realizing he had not seen this face with him… The story goes on, as to how I was grounded and then I had ot rejoin my group and all….

The crux is, a stick had added to my speed. Then, I had used a stick as fun element, today, I need it… Yesterday, I ended up buying one of those long umbrellas, the colorful ones. Actually I should have done this as soon as I was discharged, but “der aaye, durust aaye!” It is amazing, how that one piece serves dual purpose, when need may as umbrella and when need may as my guiding stick. I am neither allowed exposure to sunlight, nor can I judge 3-dimensional distances that well, and I hope it will serve a perfect tool. Actually, one of my faculty offered me her white stick, but I cannot encash on my partial blindness for disability benefits of complete blindness. Anyway, so the conclusion is, I always wanted that umbrella, and finally I have it… 

I’m gonna use it and, let you know, what my walking speed gets to!!!


And this is what I hope the umbrella would do to me... ;)
(Did any one say of being an opportunist?? lol)

No comments: