Saturday, July 11, 2009

Common bath

July 2008: Me and my would be roommate, Ketan are looking for apartments. Our main criterion is dollars, and then a decent living place. We do not mind if we have to “share a bath.” The search continues for a while… My host father has offered to check an apartment that seems to be good online. The finalization is postponed till we arrive in the US.

August 2008: We check the apartment. And yes, we have finalized it. The change is, primary criterion has already changed from “dollars” to “separate toilet bath.” Many reasons propel this change, the most evident being the stay with a friend who shares a bath with his roommate!

Today: Today when I look back, I am glad the priorities had changed at the right time. Now, after more than two months of traveling and experiencing dozens of toilet-baths, I realize the pleasure of having your own li’l corner in the house… ;)

I wake up this morning and proceed to the bath, to see it all strewn with foam and water and hair. AND, this is not only for this morning. It has been a picture most of the times, where I had to share a bath. My day has been starting with a bucket of water, liquid soap, and cleaning gear. Before even I step in, I get a mug of water from some other tap in the house to clean my walkway in the bath. Then starts the actual cleaning… I always wondered how someone could take half an hour for a shower. Now, I claim to take more than that, but fortunately or unfortunately, 90% of that time is spent in the cleaning routine.

Since my childhood, the only responsibility I might have religiously shouldered in my house, was of cleaning the toilet, the washbasin, and the bathroom. I still remember the moment, while reading Mahatma Gandhi’s autobiography, when I read about his routine of cleaning the toilets of his Ashram, I was so proud of myself. Cos I was doing it (though just for the sake of my Mom, but…)…

Anyway, so back to today… I enter the bath strewn with everything I didn’t wish to see. Spend my routine “30” minutes in cleaning it, and now when I am supposed to use it… “Knock Knock” the door bangs… Abhay is under urgent call, and wants me to rush out… I choose the blog to vent out my emotions…

The dog seem's luckier in this case...

No comments: