Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Shrawanmas... श्रावण



The monsoons, as you know, my favorite time of the year! And this is never complete without devouring the taste of monsoon literature! I bring you here one of my most favorite poems, I wish I had the translation for my English friends...

When Ruskin Bond speaks of rolling the cherry seed on his tongue, not to let go off the taste, he reminds me of the lyrics of this poems, that I have rolled over n over n over again in my mouth, every time experiencing a taste I had experienced never before..

I enjoy this poem, hope you love it too!!!

श्रावणमासी हर्ष मानसी हिरवळ दाटे चोहिकडे;
क्षणांत येते सरसर शिरवे क्षणात फिरुनी ऊन पडे.

वरती बघता इंद्रधनूचा गोफ दुहेरी विणलासे,
मंगल तोरण काय बांधिले नभोमंडपी कुणि भासे !

झालासा सूर्यास्त वाटतो सांज अहाहा! ती उघडे
तरुशिखरांवर, उंच घरांवर पिवळेपिवळे ऊन पडे

उठती वरती जलदांवरती अनंत संध्याराग पहा;
सर्व नभावर होय रेखिले सुंदरेतेचे रूप महा.

बलाकमाला उडता भासे कल्पसुमांची माळचि ते,
उतरुनि येती अवनीवरती ग्रहगोलचि की एकमते

फडफड करुनी भिजले अपुले पंख पांखरे सावरिती
सुंदर हरिणी हिरव्या कुरणी निजबाळांसह बागडती

खिल्लारेही चरती रानी, गोपहि गाणी गात फिरे.
मंजुळ पावा गाय तयाचा श्रावणमहिमा एकसुरे

सुवर्णचम्पक फुलला, विपिनी रम्य केवडा दरवळला;
पारिजातही बघता भामारोष मनीचा मावळला!

सुंदर परडी घेउनि हाती पुरोपकंठी शुद्धमती
सुंदर बाला या फुलमाला रम्य फुले-पत्री खुडती,

देवदर्शना निघती ललना, हर्ष माइना हृदयांत,
वदनी त्यांच्या वाचुनि घ्यावे श्रावण महिन्याचे गीत!

- बालकवी (त्र्यम्बक बापूजी ठोमरे)

3 comments:

Shannon Anderson said...

Full translation pleeeeassse??? I liked the one stanza of it that you translated into English on gChat.

Darshan P. Mundada said...

I wish I had full translation...

Anonymous said...

I jus love this poem.. and my mom says it in a nice toning and all.. I had this poem in school, n because of her, it made me easy to recite..