Friday, January 30, 2009

Ba


The same thoughts lead me to another question.. But, this time it is abstract, though related.. Would Gandhi exist without Kasturba? Would Bapu exist without Ba? What if she would have left him right at the first instance in South Africa?

Didn’t I say in a couple of posts back: Behind every successful man, there is a woman..??

I never read Gandhi, though I have a lot of his books in my collection.. I never saw any movie of his complete, till an hour back.. I never met a Gandhian who preached Gandhi.. But, all this while, I never imagined Gandhi as singular.. The image was always accompanied by this subdued figure walking along..

Excuse me for a bit, did I use the word subdued? I assume I did.. And why so? What makes me think of it that way?

“You are just a human, it is tough for you.. More so, tough for us, for those who do not wish to be anywhere as good as you desire to be..” (Kasturba to Gandhi, the first instance in South Africa)

This speaks of it all.. But, still, another question.. Was Gandhi trying to be good? Or right? Or puritanical? And, if so, in whose eyes? No where am I attempting a doubt at the figure of millennium.. I am making an effort to understand the male-female chemistry. .The chemistry beyond the testosterone and estrogen.. The chemistry, that gives the man the strength to face the outside world, and his own inside world too..

But then, where does this strength exist for the Dalai Lama or for Dr. Kalam? Or for Gandhiji himself, after the Agakhan palace?

As of now, Richard Bach comes to help again, though not too satisfying.. I am trying to remember a quote by Paolo Coelho.. But till I find it.. Here’s what Bach has to say about it..

“I want to be very close to someone I respect and admire and have somebody who feels the same way about me. “ [that gives a meaning to my existence, strength to life..]

No comments: