Sunday, February 8, 2009

Khuda ke Liye

Hey, don't worry.. It's not gonna be another movie review..

After seeing this movie, I realized why I might have labeled these posts identity.. If you have seen the movies, you will realize it immediately! The identity crisis of two youth, between what they believe and what they are made to believe..

Another common thread in these movies: the "trash can" attitude towards women. India and Pakistan have been free for more than half a century now, but are we as individuals free? Before I go to we, are the women, as our mothers, sisters, partners, are they free? Our scriptures worship them, we are taught to respect them, rather, we derive our life from them! And what about their lives? Do we let them live? I would not say, the story is same across the spectrum, but it is mostly the same. Till date, there are not many households where women are free in true nature. I myself have failed at times in living up to the ideal of respecting the one from whom I derived strength. Thanks to her, she made me realize where I was wrong! But, what about the plight of million's others? Why in one of the most democratic and developed economies of the world, the United States, do we need domestic violence help centers? Why the rich cultural traditions of South-East Asia give rise to the need of "Kiran", the South Asian women's help center on my campus?

Are we ever going to learn, that "she" is the one who gave us life, "she" is the one who gives u strength, "she" is the one who helps us live.. Do we recognize their identity?

DO WE???

No comments: